Shelley R. Thomas
Clients rely on Shelley Thomas for the development, commercialization, transfer and protection of intellectual property assets. She has significant experience representing private equity firms, strategic investors and their portfolio companies in the IP and technology aspects of mergers and acquisitions and other strategic transactions. Shelley also represents public and private companies in structuring and negotiating a variety of technology and commercial agreements, including licensing, SaaS, cloud hosting, distribution, reseller, outsourcing, online and offline marketing, and content syndication agreements. Drawing from her experience advising clients in a variety of industries including healthcare, automotive, media, financial services, retail, consumer products and e-commerce, Shelley helps structure transactions that protect her clients’ most valuable assets and promote their business objectives
Shelley’s practice involves:
- Health Information Technology (HIT) Contracts – Relying on her significant experience in HIT and the healthcare industry, Shelley negotiates a variety of technology contracts for providers as well as HIT vendors and routinely counsels clients on issues related to management of data, and the associated privacy, security, liability, and contractual concerns of HIT contracts. Recently, she has led several major health systems and academic institutions through the licensing and implementation of interoperable HIT and electronic health records (EHR) systems.
- Mergers & Acquisitions – Shelley performs technology and intellectual property due diligence in mergers and acquisitions and evaluates intellectual property in support of intellectual capital management. In the last two years, she has advised clients in more than 100 transactions, including Luminex Corporation’s (Nasdaq: LMNX) acquisition of Gentura DX, Inc., which won the M&A Advisor’s “M&A Deal of the Year” award.
- Privacy & Data Security – Shelley advises clients on data privacy and security efforts, including the development of information technology policies, trade secret policies, breach preparation and cybersecurity risk management and compliance with U.S. and international data privacy laws, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), CAN-SPAM Act, GLBA, COPPA, and PCI-DSS.
- Technology Agreements – Shelley drafts and negotiates vendor and client-side agreements and contracts including licensing, hosting, distribution, reseller and outsourcing agreements for clients in a variety of industries. She also structures, drafts and negotiates agreements to effect volumes of technology transfers, strategic alliances, collaborations and joint ventures.
- Media & Content Syndication – Shelley counsels clients in myriad industries on online and offline marketing initiatives including social media, advertising claims and other aspects of brand promotion. She also represents clients in content syndication deals with global brands like Hulu, Roku, Amazon, MSN and Yahoo!
American Health Law Association (AHLA) — Health Information and Technology Practice Group, Vice Chair (2018-2020)
Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society — Tennessee Chapter, Board of Directors
Media Mentions & Firm News
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) — Fellow (2023)
The Best Lawyers in America© — Copyright Law (2016-2024)
Best Lawyers® — Nashville Copyright Law “Lawyer of the Year” (2023)
Mid-South Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2014-2018)