- Physician practice acquisitions and integration
- Affordable Care Act (ACA) implementation
- Reimbursement and payment issues, including Medicaid, CHIP, and managed care
- Funds flow within academic medical center components
- Clinical research
- Medical staff and peer review compliance
- Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA)
- Medical-legal issues such as consent to care and medical neglect
- Stark Law and Ant-Kickback Statute compliance
- False Claims Act (FCA) counseling and litigation
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance
- Export controls
- Legal and operational issues in international clinical, research, and humanitarian programs
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance
- International expansion and programs
- Joint Commission, ACGME, and AAHRPP accreditation issues
- Health information technology and intellectual property matters
- Technology and biological material transfer policies and transactions
- Bond financing
- Labor, employment, benefits, and executive compensation concerns
- Exempt status issues
- Private inurement and unrelated business income tax
- Institutional and board governance issues, including committee structure, delegation of authority, and board information flow
- Structuring taxable and tax-free acquisitions and joint ventures
- Certificate of Need (CON), licensure and operational issues
- Conflicts of interest
- Compliance program design and implementation
- Charitable giving
- Faculty and resident issues
- Academic affiliation agreements
- Group purchasing organization and supply chain contracting
- Antitrust issues
- Structuring value-based care arrangements including the development of Clinically Integrated Networks and Accountable Care Organizations
Children's hospitals face unique business and legal issues that set them apart from traditional hospitals. Our Children's Hospital Practice is ideally positioned to help you tackle these issues both as advisors and partners. We intend to add value that is in line with, and strengthens, your organization's mission to provide the very best in pediatric care. This team is led by a former chief legal officer at a prominent children's hospital and a former general counsel of a women's and children’s hospital abroad. Other attorneys on the team previously held senior roles at the Department of Health and Human Services-Office of Inspector General (HHS-OIG), the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), a state Medicaid program, as well as other hospitals, and industry associations relevant to children's hospitals. The Children's Hospital Practice is regularly sought out by institutions to advise on issues related to reimbursement, compliance, mergers and strategic transactions, pediatric research, expanding children's hospitals' regional or global reach, and routine medical-legal and operational issues that children's hospital face. More specifically, many of the nation's top children's hospitals turn to Bass, Berry & Sims for advice on:
We represented Boston Children's Hospital with intellectual property, business, and government contracting issues associated with VaccineFinder. We also assisted Boston...
Bass Berry & Sims served as lead counsel to a Memphis-based children's research hospital in obtaining a Certificate of Need...
We advised St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (and other clients) on all aspects of compliance under Federal and State laws...
We served as lead counsel to a world-renowned children's research hospital in its efforts to obtain a Certificate of Need...
We represented a national children's research hospital in the negotiation of two agreements with Washington University. The parties are collaborating...
We represented a national children's research hospital in the negotiation of a collaboration agreement with the University of Tennessee Health...