- Biomedical research policies, compliance, contracting, and funding
- Institutional Review Board (IRB) administration
- Research misconduct policies and investigations
- Joint Commission, Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs (AAHRPP), and Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) accreditation
- Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA). compliance and patient care issues
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) compliance
- Export controls
- Legal and operational issues in international clinical, research, and humanitarian programs
- Fraud and abuse compliance
- False Claims Act (FCA) litigation
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance
- Physician practice acquisitions and integration
- Accountable Care Organization (ACO) exploration
- Affordable Care Act (ACA) implementation
- Medical staff and peer review compliance
- Clinical research
- Clinical integration
- Reimbursement and payment issues
- Funds flow within AMC components
- Health Information Technology and intellectual property
- Technology and biological material transfer policies and transactions
- Bond financing
- Labor, employment, benefits, and executive compensation concerns
- Exempt status issues
- Private inurement and unrelated business income tax
- Institutional and board governance issues, including committee structure, delegation of authority, and board information flow
- Structuring taxable and tax-free acquisitions and joint ventures
- Certificate of Need (CON), licensure and operational issues
- Conflicts of interest
- Compliance program design and implementation
- Charitable giving
- Faculty and resident issues
- Group purchasing organization (GPO) and supply chain contracting
- Antitrust issues
Academic Medical Centers
Academic medical centers deliver the highest-quality patient care, discover tomorrow's cures, train the next generation of healthcare professionals and scientists, and anchor communities. They also face rigorous scrutiny and have unique operational and business concerns. Our attorneys draw on their experience as former general counsels of major universities and research hospitals; as senior lawyers in the federal government; and as outside counsel to medical schools, teaching hospitals, faculty practice plans, and foundations to advise academic medical centers on a variety of issues including:
We advised hospitals, research institutions, life sciences companies, and Institutional Review Boards on the collection, use, and sharing of data...
We represented Olathe Health System, Inc., a nonprofit regional health system, in a member substitution transaction with The University of...
We represented a leading academic medical center in its enterprise software implementation and deployment of Workday, an on‑demand financial management...
We represented King’s Daughters Health System in its joint venture partnership with UK HealthCare, the clinical health care system of...
We represented Boston Children's Hospital with intellectual property, business, and government contracting issues associated with VaccineFinder. We also assisted Boston...
We counseled an academic medical center on international data protection regulations that apply to a global disease surveillance platform involving...
We represented the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) in the spinoff and sale of the management services organization responsible...
Bass Berry & Sims served as lead counsel to a Memphis-based children's research hospital in obtaining a Certificate of Need...
We represented a nationally-ranked academic medical center in its acquisition of a freestanding birthing center that emphasizes a family-centered, low-intervention...
Tennova Healthcare Joint Venture with National HealthCare Corporation, University of Tennessee Medical Center and Reliant HealthcareWe represented Community Health Systems’ Tennova Healthcare in a joint venture transaction with National HealthCare Corporation, University of Tennessee Medical...