Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business released its 2022 edition on June 1 and Bass, Berry & Sims was recognized in 14 practice categories and had 44 attorneys ranked. For the seventh year in a row, the firm received a Nationwide ranking in the Healthcare: The Elite category, earning a Band 4 national recognition for 2022. In addition, the Healthcare Practice was ranked in Tennessee (Band 1) and the District of Columbia (Band 4). This year, the firm had nine attorneys ranked in the Tennessee: Corporate/M&A category, nearly double the number of any other firm in that category.
Chambers 2022 Ranked Practices
Bass, Berry & Sims added two new practice rankings for 2022: Construction (Tennessee), which is a new category in the state for 2022, and International Trade: Export Controls & Economic Sanctions (Nationwide). Chambers USA 2022 ranked Bass, Berry & Sims in the following 14 practice categories:
- Banking & Finance – Tennessee: Band 1
- Bankruptcy/Restructuring – Tennessee: Band 1
- Construction – Tennessee: Band 1
- Corporate/M&A – Tennessee: Band 1
- Environment – Tennessee: Band 1
- Government Contracts: Highly Regarded – Nationwide: Band 1
- Healthcare – Tennessee: Band 1
- Healthcare – District of Columbia: Band 4
- Healthcare: The Elite – Nationwide: Band 4
- Intellectual Property – Tennessee: Band 1
- International Trade: Export Controls & Economic Sanctions: Highly Regarded – Nationwide: Band 2
- Labor & Employment – Tennessee: Band 2
- Litigation: General Commercial – Tennessee: Band 1
- Real Estate – Tennessee: Band 1
Chambers 2022 Ranked Attorneys
Of the 44 total attorneys ranked, 42 of those listed are from the firm’s offices in Nashville and Memphis – the most attorneys listed from any firm based in the state of Tennessee. The following 42 Bass, Berry & Sims attorneys were ranked as leaders in the following practice areas in Tennessee:
- Robert L. Brewer – Intellectual Property
- Matthew M. Curley – Healthcare: Government Investigations & Fraud
- J. Page Davidson – Corporate/M&A
- John Dawson – Environment
- Brian Dobbs – Construction
- Felix R. Dowsley III – Banking & Finance
- Craig V. Gabbert, Jr. – Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Senior Statesperson)
- Tim K. Garrett – Labor & Employment
- Jeff H. Gibson – Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Up and Coming)
- B. Riney Green – Corporate/M&A
- Anna M. Grizzle – Healthcare: Regulatory
- Michael R. Hess – Healthcare
- Michael R. Hill – Healthcare
- Scott Holley – Banking & Finance; Banking & Finance: Regulatory
- Bob Horton – Labor & Employment
- L. Wearen Hughes – Construction
- Angela Humphreys – Healthcare
- J. James Jenkins Jr. – Healthcare
- Paul G. Jennings – Bankruptcy/Restructuring
- Kris Kemp – Corporate/M&A
- Howard H. Lamar III – Corporate/M&A
- Britt K. Latham – Litigation: General Commercial
- Travis Lloyd – Healthcare: Regulatory
- Mark Manner – Corporate/M&A (Senior Statesperson)
- Paige W. Mills – Intellectual Property
- J. Allen Overby – Corporate/M&A
- Cynthia Y. Reisz – Healthcare; Healthcare: Regulatory
- Brian D. Roark – Healthcare: Government Investigations & Fraud
- Todd J. Rolapp – Corporate/M&A (Eminent Practitioner)
- Glenn B. Rose – Bankruptcy/Restructuring
- Cynthia N. Sellers – Banking & Finance
- D. Mark Sheets – Real Estate
- Richard R. Spore III – Real Estate
- James S. Tate Jr. – Banking & Finance
- G. Scott Thomas – Environment
- Ryan Thomas – Corporate/M&A
- Overton Thompson III – Litigation: General Commercial
- T. Gaillard Uhlhorn – Real Estate
- F. Mitchell Walker Jr. – Corporate/M&A
- Leigh Walton – Healthcare (Senior Statesperson)
- Elizabeth Warren – Healthcare: Regulatory
- Jessalyn H. Zeigler – Environment
The following D.C. attorneys were ranked in USA: Nationwide categories:
- Thaddeus R. McBride – International Trade: Export Controls & Economic Sanctions
- Todd Overman – Government Contracts
These three attorneys received an additional recognition:
Senior Statesperson – A Senior Statesperson is an attorney who no longer works hands-on with the same intensity but who, by virtue of close links with major clients, remains pivotal to the firm’s success.
- Craig V. Gabbert, Jr. was named a “Senior Statesperson” in Litigation: Bankruptcy.
- Mark Manner was named a “Senior Statesperson” in Corporate/M&A.
- Leigh Walton was named a “Senior Statesperson” in Healthcare.
Eminent Practitioner – Eminent Practitioners are highly influential attorneys in a particular practice area who, due to managerial or client relationship commitments, are less active in day-to-day work but remain key players in the team.
- Todd J. Rolapp, the firm’s managing partner, was named an “Eminent Practitioner” in Corporate/M&A.
Recognition in Chambers is based on thousands of in-depth interviews by Chambers staff who researched the strengths and reputations of attorneys across the United States. Rankings are assessed based on the following qualities: technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence, commitment, and other qualities most valued by clients.
About Chambers and Partners
Chambers USA ranks the leading lawyers and law firms across the USA based on in-depth market analysis and independent research, conducted by an experienced team of researchers. The Chambers’ market-leading ranking tables are compiled through assessment of a firm’s work and opinions from external market sources, with an emphasis on client feedback. Chambers rankings are designed to aid companies in their search to find a lawyer, attorney or law firm to hire for legal advice and work. More information can be found at https://chambers.com/.