Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business released its 2021 edition on May 20 and Bass, Berry & Sims was recognized in 12 practice categories and had 46 attorneys ranked. For the sixth year in a row, the firm received a Nationwide ranking in the Healthcare: The Elite category, earning a Band 4 national recognition. In addition, the Healthcare Practice was ranked in Tennessee (Band 1) and the District of Columbia (Band 5).
Chambers USA 2021 ranked Bass, Berry & Sims in the following 12 practice categories:
- Banking & Finance – Tennessee: Band 1
- Bankruptcy/Restructuring – Tennessee: Band 1
- Corporate/M&A – Tennessee: Band 1
- Environment – Tennessee: Band 1
- Government Contracts: Highly Regarded – Nationwide: Band 1
- Healthcare – Tennessee: Band 1
- Healthcare – District of Columbia: Band 5
- Healthcare: The Elite – Nationwide: Band 4
- Intellectual Property – Tennessee: Band 1
- Labor & Employment – Tennessee: Band 2
- Litigation: General Commercial – Tennessee: Band 1
- Real Estate – Tennessee: Band 1
Chambers 2021 Ranked Attorneys
Of the 46 total attorneys ranked, 43 of those listed are from the firm’s offices in Nashville and Memphis – the most attorneys listed from any firm based in the state of Tennessee. The following 43 attorneys were ranked as leaders in the following practice areas in Tennessee:
- Robert L. Brewer – Intellectual Property
- James H. Cheek III – Corporate/M&A (Senior Statesperson)
- Matthew M. Curley – Healthcare: Government Investigations & Fraud
- J. Page Davidson – Corporate/M&A
- John Dawson – Environment
- Wallace W. Dietz – Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations; Litigation: General Commercial
- Felix R. Dowsley III – Banking & Finance
- Craig V. Gabbert, Jr. – Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Senior Statesperson)
- Tim K. Garrett – Labor & Employment
- Jeff H. Gibson – Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Up and Coming)
- J. Andrew Goddard – Environment
- B. Riney Green – Corporate/M&A
- Anna M. Grizzle – Healthcare: Regulatory
- Michael R. Hess – Healthcare
- Michael R. Hill – Healthcare
- Scott Holley – Banking & Finance; Banking & Finance: Regulatory
- Bob Horton – Labor & Employment
- Angela Humphreys – Healthcare
- J. James Jenkins Jr. – Healthcare
- Paul G. Jennings – Bankruptcy/Restructuring
- Kris Kemp – Corporate/M&A
- Howard H. Lamar III – Corporate/M&A
- Britt K. Latham – Litigation: General Commercial
- Mark Manner – Corporate/M&A (Senior Statesperson)
- Paige W. Mills – Intellectual Property
- J. Allen Overby – Corporate/M&A
- Cynthia Y. Reisz – Healthcare; Healthcare: Regulatory
- Brian D. Roark – Healthcare: Government Investigations & Fraud
- Todd J. Rolapp – Corporate/M&A (Eminent Practitioner)
- Glenn B. Rose – Bankruptcy/Restructuring
- Cynthia N. Sellers – Banking & Finance
- D. Mark Sheets – Real Estate
- Richard R. Spore III – Real Estate
- John A. Stemmler – Real Estate (Senior Statesperson)
- James S. Tate Jr. – Banking & Finance
- G. Scott Thomas – Environment
- Ryan Thomas – Corporate/M&A
- Overton Thompson III – Litigation: General Commercial
- T. Gaillard Uhlhorn – Real Estate
- F. Mitchell Walker Jr. – Corporate/M&A
- Leigh Walton – Healthcare
- Elizabeth Warren – Healthcare: Regulatory
- Jessalyn H. Zeigler – Environment
The following attorney was ranked in the District of Columbia:
- John E. Kelly – Healthcare
The following attorneys were ranked in the USA: Nationwide:
- Thaddeus R. McBride – International Trade: Export Controls & Economic Sanctions
- Todd Overman – Government Contracts
These five attorneys received an additional recognition:
Senior Statesperson – A Senior Statesperson is an attorney who no longer works hands-on with the same intensity but who, by virtue of close links with major clients, remains pivotal to the firm’s success.
- James H. Cheek III was named a “Senior Statesperson” in Corporate/M&A.
- Craig V. Gabbert, Jr. was named a “Senior Statesperson” in Litigation: Bankruptcy.
- Mark Manner was named a “Senior Statesperson” in Corporate/M&A.
- John A. Stemmler was named a “Senior Statesperson” in Real Estate.
Eminent Practitioner – Eminent Practitioners are highly influential attorneys in a particular practice area who, due to managerial or client relationship commitments, are less active in day-to-day work but remain key players in the team.
- Todd J. Rolapp, the firm’s managing partner, was named an “Eminent Practitioner” in Corporate/M&A.
Recognition in Chambers is based on thousands of in-depth interviews by Chambers staff who researched the strengths and reputations of attorneys across the United States. Rankings are assessed based on the following qualities: technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence, commitment, and other qualities most valued by clients.
About Chambers and Partners
Chambers USA ranks the leading lawyers and law firms across the USA based on in-depth market analysis and independent research, conducted by an experienced team of researchers. The Chambers’ market-leading ranking tables are compiled through assessment of a firm’s work and opinions from external market sources, with an emphasis on client feedback. Chambers rankings are designed to aid companies in their search to find a lawyer, attorney or law firm to hire for legal advice and work. More information can be found at https://chambers.com/.