As mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and securities counsel to numerous national companies and private equity firms, Ryan Thomas has closed more than $50 billion in M&A transactions, and more than $60 billion in overall transactions, including both the largest domestic LBO, and the largest private equity-backed IPO at the time. Ryan's practice focuses on public and private companies within the healthcare, media, retail, government services, life sciences and technology industries, among others. Ryan also advises management, boards and special committees on shareholder activism, corporate governance and public company disclosure matters.
Ryan has been recognized by The M&A Advisor on multiple occasions, including receiving the "M&A Deal of the Year" award in the $50 million to $100 million category as part of his work on behalf of Luminex Corporation (NASDAQ: LMNX) and being named an "M&A Deal of the Year" finalist in the over $1 billion category as a part of his work on behalf of Engility, Inc. (NYSE: EGL) in connection with its merger with TASC, Inc., a KKR and General Atlantic portfolio company. Ryan is active in the leadership of the ABA's M&A and Business Law Committees, serving as editor of the Deal Points publication and the managing editor for M&A content of Business Law Today. He has been extensively quoted and published on M&A matters and high profile deals in leading national media such as The Wall Street Journal Pro Private Equity, The Business Lawyer, The Corporate Board, Executive Counsel, Marketwatch.com, Los Angeles Times, TheStreet.com, GlobeSt.com, Associate Press, Bloomberg News and others.
Ryan's practice involves:
- Mergers and Acquisitions; Private Equity – Advising public and private companies and private equity firms on a broad range of strategic and private equity transaction structures, including mergers, tender offers, going private and leveraged buyout transactions and other recapitalizations. Ryan represents several private equity firms and their platform companies in their M&A and financing activities. Ryan focuses on middle market M&A transactions in amounts between $25 million and $500 million or greater. Ryan's healthcare transactional experience spans a broad spectrum of the healthcare industry, including extensive experience in HIT, physician management, dermatology, behavioral, managed care, specialty pharmacy and life sciences spaces, among others.
- Securities Transactions; Venture Capital – Advising on initial and secondary public offerings, strategic-led private placements and a broad range of public securities transactions. Ryan also has extensive experience representing issuers, strategic investors and venture capital firms in private placements of equity and debt securities, including multiple individual venture capital transactions exceeding $50 million.
- International Transactions – Advising on complex, international and multi-jurisdictional transactions, including targets and buyers based in North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia.
- Corporate Governance and Public Company Disclosures – Advising on general corporate and governance matters, including board advisement, fiduciary duties, corporate governance "best practices," takeover defense, proxy fights and activist shareholders, securities law compliance and public company disclosure.
- Joint Ventures; Licensing; Commercial Transactions – Advising on joint ventures and other complex commercial and licensing transactions on behalf of media, technology and healthcare companies, among others.