Our attorneys have been involved in all aspects of bankruptcy cases, including pre-bankruptcy negotiations, confirmation of Chapter 11 plans of reorganization, investigation and litigation of preferences, fraudulent transfers, and other potential estate causes of actions, including breach of duty claims against directors and officers and deepening insolvency claims.
The practice has been involved in significant bankruptcy matters cases across the U.S. in a variety of industries, including:
- Coal mining
- Real Estate (commercial, large residential development and mixed-use)
- Retail manufacturing/sales
- Nonprofit organizations
Our broad range of clients includes:
- Individual lenders
- Banks, insurance companies, finance companies and other institutional lenders
- Equity holders and joint venturers in financially distressed companies
- Boards of distressed businesses
- Persons seeking to invest in troubled businesses or to acquire assets or entire businesses from a distressed or bankrupt seller
- Receivers, case trustees and post confirmation fiduciaries
- Lessors and lessees of real estate, equipment and intellectual property
- Unsecured creditors' committees
- Publicly traded companies in Chapter 11
Our attorneys also handle a variety of commercial litigation matters that arise in bankruptcy proceedings or in state or federal courts involving creditor-debtor relations or lender liability issues.
Our attorneys have represented numerous purchasers of distressed assets out of bankruptcy proceedings in many industries, including several hospital acquisitions.
In many instances, attorneys in this group work closely with members of the firm's other practice groups, such as banks & financial institutions, tax, corporate & securities, real estate and environmental. In addition, the firm has provided neutrals to mediate disputes in the bankruptcy-insolvency context, as well as in various commercial disputes.
Our bankruptcy attorneys have been recognized in Chambers USA
, Best Lawyers in America®
, Super Lawyers, Business Tennessee
and Nashville Business Journal's
"Best of the Bar."