Jeffrey A. Oldham
Jeff Oldham has developed one of the leading public finance practices in Tennessee. Jeff’s ability to creatively structure complex financings has contributed to some of the more pivotal projects across the region. Whether he is helping a utilities district secure funding for emergency repairs following flood damage, or helping bring a high-profile, one million square foot convention center to life through construction financing, Jeff’s experience with complex transactions has earned him a reputation as a go-to public finance lawyer throughout Tennessee.
A member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers, Jeff serves as bond counsel to help cities, counties and local utilities finance public projects ranging from sports facilities to schools to utility improvements. As underwriter’s counsel, he works with underwriters, banks and entities that lend to local governments.
Jeff also works with corporate, real estate and governmental clients to facilitate economic development projects through public-private partnerships. Whether it’s a property tax abatement transaction, a tax increment or special assessment financing, or an urban redevelopment project, Jeff brings the firm’s unique public finance and commercial real estate experience to bear on behalf of his clients.
His practice involves:
- Financings for Local Governments – Serves as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel and issuer’s counsel for a variety of financings for local governments, including:
- General obligation bond issues for cities and counties.
- Water, sewer, gas and electric revenue bond issues for municipal utilities and utility districts.
- Loans by Rural Development, United States Department of Agriculture, to local governments and utility districts
- Economic Incentives – Advises municipal entities and private parties on property tax abatement, tax increment (TIF) financing and other governmental incentives.
- Private Activity Bond Issues – Serves as bond counsel and/or underwriter’s counsel, bank counsel for a wide variety of private activity bond issues.
The state and federal regulatory environment facing public finance and economic incentive transactions is increasingly intense. Jeff brings creativity and innovation to help local governments, banks and businesses navigate these challenges and close their finance and incentive transactions.
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Media Mentions & Firm News
Best Lawyers® — Nashville Public Finance Law “Lawyer of the Year” (2020)
The Best Lawyers in America© — Public Finance Law (2010-2024)
Mid-South Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2008-2011)