Russell A. Miller
Russ Miller helps governmental and large nonprofit entities structure and negotiate bond financings to pursue their capital projects. Since 2010, he has closed approximately $420 million in bond transactions for nonprofit colleges and universities. He has also closed nearly $1 billion in nonprofit hospital bond transactions and more than 30 direct placement bank transactions for governmental and nonprofit entities in the last three years.
Russ’ practice involves:
- Serving as bond counsel and/or borrower’s counsel on numerous financings for 501(c)(3) borrowers, including hospitals, educational institutions and service organizations.
- Representing financial institutions as underwriter’s counsel and bank counsel in connection with both governmental and private activity bond issues.
- Serving as bond counsel on general obligation bond issues and water, sewer, gas and electric revenue bond issues for municipalities and utility districts.
- Serving as counsel to energy acquisition corporations on a variety of legal matters, including natural gas prepay transactions.
- Representing governmental entities and businesses in connection with various economic development incentives, including tax abatements, tax increment financings and the issuance of industrial development bonds.
Russ has served on the faculty for the National Association of Bond Lawyers Fundamentals Conference, teaching seminars on credit enhancement, basic structuring of bond deals and financial aspects of tax-exempt financings. He has taught a course to first-year law students at Vanderbilt University Law School titled, “Professionalism in Practice.”
As a member of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee, Russ has represented several Nashville-based social entrepreneurs focused on pursuing solutions to social problems while creating and sustaining social value.
Prior to joining the firm, Russ was a judicial clerk for Judge Michael Kanne on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit in Chicago. He also worked for U.S. Senator Richard Lugar of Indiana.
Media Mentions & Firm News
Best Lawyers® — Nashville Public Finance Law “Lawyer of the Year” (2023)
The Best Lawyers in America© — Public Finance Law (2013-2024)
Vanderbilt Law Review — Notes Development Editor
Judicial Clerk to Judge Michael Kanne, U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit