Nashville, Tenn., (December 12, 2022) – Bass, Berry & Sims and the Tennessee Hospital Association hosted the 8th Annual Nashville Healthcare Fraud Conference on December 8. The event featured more than 30 speakers including thought leaders from national healthcare companies, service providers and the government, along with attorneys at Bass, Berry & Sims. A virtual broadcast of the conference, including four bonus sessions, will take place on December 15 and 16.
“This annual event is a great opportunity to bring together leaders from within the healthcare industry to learn about the latest enforcement developments and share insights from real world experience. Not only does this annual event provide great content, it also allows for the attendees to network with their peers and learn from each other,” said Matthew Curley, co-chair of the Bass, Berry & Sims Healthcare Fraud Task Force.
The event featured a range of topics about enforcement matters in the healthcare industry. Curley moderated a panel on litigating False Claims Act cases, as well as an in-house panel on enforcement issues featuring Michael Regier, General Counsel and Secretary of Vanderbilt University Medical Center and Kathryn Sasser, Vice President of Litigation at HCA Healthcare.
Some other sessions included:
- Healthcare Fraud Year in Review
- Self-Disclosure Considerations
- Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute Enforcement Developments
- Physician Compensation and Common Billing Issues
- Pharmacy and Nursing Drug Diversion
- Managed Care Enforcement
- Conducting Effective Investigative Interviews
- Department of Justice Corporate Compliance Priorities
- Ethical Issues Facing Compliance and Legal Departments
“The topics covered at the conference address nearly every important enforcement-related issue facing providers in the healthcare industry,” added Brian Roark, co-chair of Bass Berry & Sims Healthcare Fraud Task Force. “The speakers provide invaluable insight into these critical areas.”
Speakers at the 8th Annual Nashville Healthcare Fraud Conference
Healthcare industry speakers outside the firm included:
- Mandy Asgeirsson – Director at Berkeley Research Group LLC
- Kate Dowd, Senior Vice President and Chief Legal Officer at Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare
- Ellen Gallagher – Senior Vice President, Chief Audit, Compliance & Privacy Officer at Rochester Regional Health
- Susannah Herkert – Managing Director at Guidepost Solutions
- Eliot Kerner – Vice President and Associate General Counsel at American Physician Partners
- Christian Krautkramer, Chief Compliance Officer and Associate General Counsel at PathAI
- Celeste Oglesby – Vice President and Managing Counsel, Physician Services at Lifepoint Health
- Steve Petrovich – Chief Legal Officer at Ardent Health Services
- Michael Regier – General Counsel and Secretary at Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Peter Resnick – Vice President at Charles River Associates
- Kathryn Sasser – Vice President Litigation at HCA Healthcare, Inc.
- Ben Schecter – Assistant U.S. Attorney and Civil Chief at the U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- Francine Wachtmann, Vice President Corporate Compliance at Eurofins Clinical Diagnostics NDSC US
- Ryan Wettergren – Director, Privacy, Policy Admin and Compliance at Ardent Health Services
About the Healthcare Fraud Task Force
Marked by an integrated approach and unmatched regulatory knowledge, the healthcare practice of Bass, Berry & Sims is a team of more than 260 experienced attorneys who leverage their diverse strengths to meet the unique demands of our clients. Our team encompasses the multitude of legal specialties necessary to service one of the largest, most highly regulated industries in the U.S. Attorneys from our Healthcare Fraud Task Force work seamlessly within this broader group to advise healthcare providers in responding to inquiries and investigations by DOJ, HHS-OIG, various states’ Attorneys General offices, and other federal and state agencies, and in related litigation. We have served as counsel for healthcare companies in more than half of the FCA cases litigated in Tennessee, more than all other firms combined, and in numerous other FCA matters throughout the country. Learn more here.
About Bass, Berry & Sims PLC
Bass, Berry & Sims is a national law firm with nearly 350 attorneys dedicated to delivering exceptional service to numerous publicly traded companies and Fortune 500 businesses in significant litigation and investigations, complex business transactions, and international regulatory matters. Our people are true partners who work seamlessly across substantive practice disciplines, industries and geographies to deliver highly-effective legal advice and innovative, business-focused solutions. In 2022 the firm celebrates its centennial anniversary and continues to build on our foundational attributes of agility, tenacity and collaboration. For more information, visit www.bassberry.com.