Founded on client service in 1922; centered to deliver today.
In the early days, our founders developed a reputation for excellence; F.M. Bass, Frank Berry and Cecil Sims were fastidious, intellectually curious and highly sought after. They pioneered our now robust mergers and acquisitions practice by participating in notable transactions such as the Cheek-Neal Coffee Company, known for Maxwell House Coffee, in its sale to Postum in 1928 for $20 million and by representing Fourth and First National Bank in its merger with American National Bank in 1930. A few years later, Cecil Sims initiated one of the firm's first alternative fee arrangements, which lasted from 1934 until the late 1960's, with Vanderbilt University's Chancellor Kirkland.
Ninety years after its inception, Bass, Berry & Sims continues to lead clients through increasingly complex legal challenges. Our highly skilled attorney teams aim to provide a profound understanding of our clients' businesses and perspective, sound judgment, efficiency and responsiveness to every matter. Recently, we represented a Nashville-based, leading provider of healthcare services in its leveraged buyout (LBO), which was, at the time, the largest LBO in history; we were engaged as the New York Stock Exchange's Regulatory Auditor; and we successfully tried the largest case in Tennessee involving the breach of a $1.4 billion merger agreement. We advance opportunities and deliver results.
- "The firm's biggest strength is the quality of its attorneys - they're very knowledgeable and thorough." (from Chambers USA 2016)
- "The firm's performance was outstanding. I'd put them up there with the big firms globally - some of the finest attorneys I've seen." (from Chambers USA 2015)
- "They have a pristine reputation and are widely respected. They are worth their weight in gold!" (from Chambers USA 2014)
- "They are very professional, strategic thinkers. Cooperative collaboration within the firm definitely enhances outcomes, and client communication is a strength." (from Chambers USA 2013)
- Primary outside counsel to more than 35 public companies
- More than 60 practice groups
- Long-term client relationships: 54% of our clients have been with the firm for 10 or more years
- 4 offices: Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis and Washington, D.C.
"In this age of consolidation in the legal market and the quest to become larger, we remain committed to being as large as our clients need us to be, committed to being an extraordinary law firm that delivers value and results to our clients." Todd Rolapp, Managing Partner