In February 2020, Bass, Berry & Sims released its Healthcare Fraud & Abuse Review 2019 – the firm’s annual analysis of significant developments affecting healthcare fraud enforcement, including policy announcements, developments under the False Claims Act (FCA), and FCA settlements entered into by hospitals and health systems, long-term care providers, pharmaceutical and medical device makers, and other providers. The firm has published its annual report since 2012. To download a copy of this year’s report, click here.
The Review closely examines the January 2020 report released by the Department of Justice (DOJ) detailing civil fraud recoveries which rose to more than $3 billion in the fiscal year ending September 30, 2019 (FY 2019) as compared to $2.8 billion in FY 2018. Recoveries attributable to the healthcare industry were $2.6 billion in FY 2019, a slight increase from $2.5 billion in FY 2018.
The release of the firm’s Healthcare Fraud & Abuse Review 2019 and our assessment of DOJ’s announced enforcement results has garnered ‘significant media attention, including:’
- “Bass, Berry & Sims Releases Annual Healthcare Fraud & Abuse Report,” Nashville Medical News (March 9, 2020)
- “Rise of Data Could Bring More False Claims Act Cases, CMS Scrutiny to Skilled Nursing,” Skilled Nursing News (February 26, 2020)
- “Just Released – The Healthcare Fraud & Abuse Annual Review,” Modern Healthcare (February 25, 2020)
- “Takeaways from the DOJ’s 2019 False Claims Act Report,” Corporate Compliance Insights (February 24, 2020)
- “Off the Hook for Fraud and Abuse,” Modern Healthcare (February 22, 2020)
- “Providers Beware: Behavioral Health Fraud Investigations, Recoveries on the Rise,” Behavioral Health Business (February 21, 2020)
- “More Than $2 Billion in Fraud Recoveries Collected from Healthcare Companies Last Year,” Healthcare Finance News (February 19, 2020)
- “Providers’ Could Face More False Claims Act Cases — Courtesy of Their Own Claims Data — Report Warns,” McKnight’s Long-Term Care News (February 17, 2020)
- “Unsealed Documents Reveal Cookeville Hospital’s Alleged Physician Kickback Scheme,” WPLN-Nashville Public Radio (February 14, 2020)
- “FCA’s Epic Run in 2010s Will Be Hard to Match in 2020s,” Law360 (January 24, 2020)
- “Of $3 Billion DOJ Recovered in Fraud, $2.6 Billion Attributable to Healthcare,” Healthcare Finance News (January 10, 2020)