Bass, Berry & Sims attorney Richard Arnholt will speak at SCS Consulting’s 2015 Annual Government Contracting Seminar in a sessions titled “Contractors Beware: The Davis Bacon Act and the 2014 Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces Executive Order ” on Tuesday, October 20, 2015.
Richard will discuss the Davis Bacon Act, which requires that contractors and subcontractors on must federally funded or assisted contracts for construction, alteration or repair of public buildings and public works pay employees no less than the locally prevailing wages and fringe benefits. This is an area of increased enforcement attention in recent years, heightening the risk to non-compliant contractors. In addition, the 2014 Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces Executive Order requires that prospective contractors disclose labor law violations and that violations be considered in the award process, meaning non-compliance on a contract today may have dire consequences for a company’s ability to win contracts tomorrow.
Given the risk environment, it is important that contractors and subcontractors working on federally funded or assisted contracts understand what the Davis Bacon Act requires, how to comply and the risks of non-compliance. Among other questions,Richard will address:
- How do I know if my contract or subcontract is covered by the Davis Bacon Act?
- Are prime contractors responsible for ensuring subcontractors pay the correct wages and fringe benefits to their employees?
- What sort of records is a contractor required to keep?
- Does the Davis Bacon Act mandate how often a contractor must pay its employees?
- What are the potential consequences of non-compliance?
- And much more!