Please join us for a breakfast program discussing the hottest area of patent law – trials at the USPTO Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). As petitions continue to be filed at a record pace, it is increasingly important for both patent owners and patent challengers to know how to navigate the evolving landscape of PTAB litigation. During this complimentary CLE, Bass, Berry & Sims attorney Mike Kiklis will provide an overview of PTAB litigation, a recap of recent developments, and a look forward to potential developments on the horizon. In-house counsel will gain new strategies and practical tips for succeeding at the PTAB, whether as a patent challenger or a patent owner.
Topics covered will include:
- Explanation and overview of PTAB trials
- Recent Supreme Court developments
- Succeeding after the new Phillips claim construction standard
- Overview of the August 2018 update to the PTAB’s Trial Practice Guide
- Time-bar recent developments
- Highlights from the PTAB’s September 2018 Standard Operating Procedure 1 & 2, addressing how panels are assigned and how opinions will be designated as precedential
- Practice tips for success at the PTAB
The program will be held in the Nashville offices of Bass, Berry & Sims from 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. (CST) with a complimentary breakfast provided beginning at 7:30 a.m. For those unable to attend in person, the program can be joined remotely, as well.