At Bass, Berry & Sims, we are implementing our affinity groups in a unique way. Rather than have our Hispanic/Latin American Affinity Group operate in a standalone manner, the group is closely tied to the firm’s leadership and its overall commitment to real progress in diversity and inclusion.
The Hispanic/Latin American group members have a member of the firm’s Executive Committee assigned to them as a direct liaison to firm management. This ensures that the perspectives and priorities of our Hispanic/Latin American attorneys are directly conveyed and understood at the highest levels of firm management, and that all of our Hispanic/Latin American attorneys have direct personal exposure to top firm leadership. While the Hispanic/Latin American Affinity Group is a key player in the firm’s commitment to diversity, the overall commitment and ultimate responsibilities belong to firm leadership, and all Bass, Berry & Sims attorneys are expected to play a role in this commitment.
Our Hispanic/Latin American Affinity Group provides a forum for individuals at Bass, Berry & Sims to exchange ideas and information relevant to their unique experiences. The Hispanic/Latin American Affinity Group works alongside firm leadership to support and implement Bass, Berry & Sims’ commitment to diversity and inclusion in the following ways:
- Ensure the maximum level of personal comfort and professional opportunity for all attorneys of Hispanic/Latin American heritage, including honestly dealing with any unique challenges stemming from group affiliation or personal background.
- Expand the number of group members within the partnership and firm leadership levels.
- Assist in the societal need to fully inform young Hispanic/Latin Americans about opportunities in the legal profession.
Group members also actively participate in firm recruiting activities and in cultivating relationships with diverse bar organizations and community organizations. By participating in community service and pro bono initiatives, this group helps connect Bass, Berry & Sims to the larger community.
Our Hispanic/Latin American Affinity Group was formed and operates with several key understandings:
- The Hispanic/Latin American umbrella contains people from a variety of backgrounds that have different issues and concerns.
- Group members are often not seen to be “different” in any way but can still feel a lack of total inclusion.
- Only through open and honest discussion of the realities of being each individual can the firm proactively address any matters that impede comfort, connectedness or advancement.