The LGBT Affinity Group raises awareness and visibility within Bass, Berry & Sims of the firm’s commitment to be inclusive of all forms of diversity, including sexual orientation and gender identity. Membership offers general support, mentoring and networking opportunities, and provides a voice regarding the firm’s policies and practices as they relate to LGBT attorneys.
Bass, Berry & Sims received a 100% benchmark on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index. Bass, Berry & Sims was the only Nashville-based company to receive a perfect score, and is proud to join the other 609 U.S. Companies that are now labeled as the “Best Places to work for LGBTQ Equality.”
Programs and Activities
The LGBT Affinity Group and its allies actively participate in a number of events, programs, activities, sponsorships and organizations that connect with and benefit the larger LGBT community.
- In March 2019, the LGBT group participated in the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Nashville Equality Dinner. Bass, Berry & Sims employee Emily Harrington donated one of her pieces of art for the silent auction.
- In February 2019, the LGBT ally group attended the Predators Pride Night at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville.
- In June 2018, as part of the firm’s celebration of Pride Month, the LGBT group hosted Josh Burford, an award-winning historian, archivist and educator with over 20 years of experience creating stronger communities for LGBTQ people across the United States.
- In May 2018, the group sponsored the 2018 LGBT Chamber Excellence in Business Awards.
- In March 2018, Bass, Berry & Sims sponsored the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Nashville Equality Dinner to celebrate the successes of the LGBT Community.
- In January 2018, the group sponsored the Second Annual LGBTQ Youth Summit hosted by GLSEN and Students of Stonewall.
- In 2018, the group attended the 2018 Nashville Predators Annual Pride Night Hosted by the Nashville LGBT Chamber of Commerce.
- Group members annually attend the National LGBT Bar Association’s Lavender Law Conference and Career Fair.
- The group regularly sponsors or participates in activities of the Stonewall Bar Association of Tennessee, the Human Rights Campaign, the Tennessee Equality Project, the Nashville LGBT Chamber of Commerce, the Oasis Center’s Just Us program, and Nashville in Harmony.
- The group has hosted students from Vanderbilt University Law School’s OutLaw group for a networking and mentorship dinner.
David Smith leads our LGBT Affinity Group.