The African-American Affinity Group (3AG) was created to serve as a forum for members to exchange ideas and information relevant to their experiences as diverse attorneys. 3AG supports the Bass, Berry & Sims diversity and inclusion initiative by fostering an environment and culture for the personal and professional development of our attorneys.
At Bass, Berry & Sims, we are implementing our affinity groups in a unique way. Rather than have the 3AG group operate in a standalone manner, the group is closely tied to the firm’s leadership and its overall commitment to real progress in diversity and inclusion.
Programs and Activities
The 3AG group actively participates in a number of programs, activities, sponsorships and organizations that benefit the broader community. The group welcomes and supports African-American summer associates, entry-level associates and lateral attorneys, helping them build solid foundations and relationships within the firm and the community.
- In April 2018, marking the 50th anniversary of the Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Bass, Berry & Sims had the honor of hosting Julian Blackshear, Jr., a former student of Dr. King, to commemorate his legacy and fight for equality and human rights.
- Hosting the YMCA of Middle Tennessee Black Achievers Group at our office to learn about the legal profession. The Black Achievers program is a college and career exploration and preparation program, focused on encouraging students to find their passions.
- Since 2008, Bass, Berry & Sims has sponsored a scholarship program at Fisk University assisting two African-American students each year interested in pursuing a legal career.
- Bass, Berry & Sims regularly hosts the Annual Vanderbilt Black Law Students Association Alumni (BLSA) Reception and Dinner.
- For many years, Bass, Berry & Sims has sponsored the Julian Blackshear, Jr. Scholarship Gala at the University of Tennessee Law School. The scholarship provides support for African-American law students with financial need.
Lillian Blackshear leads the 3AG group.