Tim has extensive experience representing employers throughout the Southeast in all aspects of employment discrimination and traditional labor law. He has been a Member of the firm since 1992 and is the former chair of the Labor and Employment Practice. His recent litigation experience includes the following:
Discrimination experience – Tim was part of the defense team for a major appliance company on claims that the company engaged in "associational harassment"; after a week-long trial, the jury returned verdict for defendant.
Tim was lead counsel in the successful defense of major health care provider in gender discrimination/retaliation cases in Ohio (summary judgment obtained). As importantly, Tim provided creative solutions to the "business issues" underlying the litigation.
Wage/Hour experience – Tim helped lead the firm's defense team in a significant wage/hour collective action involving thousands of current and former employees of a local major university. The defense team guided the employer through a creative solution that obtained a favorable result in significantly less time than typical for such claims.
Traditional Labor experience – Tim was lead counsel in a successful "informational campaign" for local automotive parts manufacturer against UAW representation attempt.
Tim is known for his energetic and entertaining lectures for clients and business associations in all areas of labor and employment law.
- "Top 10 Headaches for HR Administrators," Crichton Group and Hampton Roads ALA Chapter Seminars - October 2012
- "Labor Law," DCIDS - Association of Organ Procurement - October 2012
- "EEOC Hot Buttons: The Agency’s Focus on Systemic Litigation, Pre-hire Screening and Automatic Disqualifiers," Nashville Bar Association’s Employment Law Institute: The Latest Cases and Trends in Employment Law Seminar - October 2012
- "Hospitality Employment Law Panel," 2012 Tennessee Hospitality Conference and Trade Show - August 2012
- "Social Networking Issues in the Workplace," Tennessee Human Rights Commission’s 2012 Employment Law Seminar - June 2012
- "EEOC Hot Buttons: The Agency’s Focus on Systemic Litigation, Pre-Hire Screening And Automatic Disqualifiers," Middle Tennessee Society for Human Resource Management’s 2012 Tennessee Employment Law Conference - May 2012
- "Employment & Labor Law Update," Verso Paper HR Leadership Team Meeting - May 2012
- "Social Media & Pre-Hire Challenges," Emdeon HR Training - May 2012
- "Top 10 Headaches for HR Administrators," Virginia Chapters of ALA 4th Statewide Educational Conference & Retreat - March 2012
- "If You're Prepared to be Sued, You're Less Likely to be Sued" and "Sensitive Issues: Substance Abuse and Leaves of Absence," National Business Institute’s Employment Laws Made Simple Seminar - February 2012, September 2011 and September 2010
- "Employment Law Made Simple," National Business Institute Seminar - September 2011
- "Social Media - Technology Brings New Challenges and Opportunities," Middle Tennessee Society for Human Resource Management‘s 2011 Tennessee Employment Law & Legislative Conference - May 2011
- "Top 10 FMLA Headaches," "Harassment Scenarios" and "Exercise of Management Authority," Employer Human Resources Concerns In 2011 - May 2011
Tim also is active in his community
- Board of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
- Past President of the Tennessee Kidney Foundation
- Corporate Board of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Tim is listed in Best Lawyers® and has been named one of Tennessee's leading labor and employment attorneys since 2003 by Chambers USA.