Trademarks are the most visible, and frequently one of the most critical and valuable, corporate assets that identify and distinguish their owners and the origin and quality of their products and services. The value and integrity of trademark assets largely depend on the strategies used to select, protect, defend and maximize them. Our trademark attorneys are dedicated to understanding our clients’ businesses, the industries in which they operate, and their branding objectives in order to develop flexible and practical approaches to trademark portfolio management and optimization.
We have prosecuted thousands of trademarks for public companies and small, medium and large private companies in nearly every major industry category, including banking, healthcare, entertainment (including one of the top selling musical artists in any genre), book and magazine publishers, alcoholic beverage companies, restaurant chains, fashion designers, and retail services. We have managed registration, maintenance, opposition, cancellation, and enforcement and policing programs for our clients at home and all over the world.
Our domestic and international strategies and counsel include:
- Trademark selection, strategy and management.
- Clearance searches and opinions for names, marks and slogans.
- Preparation, filing and prosecution of trademark applications and responses to Office actions.
- Registration, maintenance and renewal of trademarks in the U.S. and worldwide.
- Trademark watch services.
- Investigations related to the trademark rights of others.
- Litigation of trademark, trade dress, unfair competition and false advertising disputes in federal and state courts.
- Appeals, oppositions and cancellation proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
- Domain name monitoring, enforcement and litigation, including ICANN UDRP arbitrations before the National Arbitration Forum (NAF).
- Cybersquatting litigation under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) in federal court.
- Trademark due diligence in corporate, financing and technology transactions.
- Advising on Internet advertising, keywords, marketing and online branding issues.
- Development of trademark use guidelines and educational programs.
- Review of labels, packaging and marketing materials for proper usage and marking.
- Negotiation of licenses, consent and coexistence agreements.
- Anti-counterfeiting/gray market monitoring, investigations and litigations.
- Trademark enforcement actions, including opposition and cancellation proceedings, in foreign countries.
- Registration of trademarks with customs in the U.S. and worldwide.