Attorneys in our Insurance & Managed Care Practice Group counsel insurance companies, insurance holding companies, health maintenance organizations (HMOs), preferred provider organizations, captive insurers, insurance brokers, insurance agencies, and third-party administrators on corporate and regulatory matters, including development of insurance policies and negotiation of provider contracts.
We represent insurance industry participants in:
- Mergers, acquisitions and dispositions.
- De novo formations of stock, mutual and captive insurers.
- Shell acquisitions and loss portfolio transfers.
- Multi-state regulatory matters, including Form A, Form B, Form C, Form D and Form F filings, and policy form and rate filings.
- Administrative proceedings before and informal negotiations with the Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance , including the Financial Affairs, Policy Analysis, Agent Licensing and Consumer Insurance Services sections of the Insurance Division and the TennCare Oversight Division.
- Legislative matters.
- Negotiation of reinsurance treaties and excess policies.
- Negotiation on renewal coverages and premiums.
- Coverage disputes and other litigation.
We have represented Tennessee captives since the late 1970s when first authorized, including the first two captives licensed under the 2011 revisions. In addition to de novo pure and cell captive formations, we handle foreign and alien redomestications. We also advise risk retention groups (RRGs) and purchasing groups, both domestic and offshore, and have significant experience in working with RRGs and captives on various legal, regulatory and tax matters, and operational issues. We are members of the Tennessee Captive Insurance Association and serve on its Government Relations Committee.
We also have worked with managed care clients on existing insurance coverages and on future placements, including the alignment of insured-insurance company objectives with claims and coverage disputes.
We are active participants in meetings and events held by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and members of our practice group are the only Tennessee representatives of the Federation of Regulatory Counsel, Inc., a professional association of insurance regulatory lawyers. We also are listed by AM Best.