Ross leads the firm's Global Anti-Corruption Compliance and International Investigations practice which represents clients in internal investigations of alleged international corruption, fraud and other corporate misconduct, and provides compliance counsel to clients regarding international operations, transactions and expansions.
Ross has led investigations in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas. Through this experience he understands how difficult it can be for companies to lawfully achieve business objectives in countries where corruption is common. Ross’ representation of numerous clients in high profile cases with reputational, political and operational implications enables him to bring a business perspective beyond the legal issues when advising clients.
Prior to entering private practice, Ross conducted criminal and national security investigations in foreign jurisdictions as a U.S. Navy judge advocate.
Internal Investigations and Global Anti-Corruption Compliance:
- Led anti-corruption internal investigations and due diligence inquiries for Fortune 500 and other companies (Africa, Asia, Europe & the Americas)
- Provides anti-corruption compliance counsel for clients regarding foreign acquisitions, joint ventures, expansions, global sourcing and the development and implementation of global compliance programs
- Represented board of directors of $1B+ entity in internal investigation of alleged financial fraud by senior management
- Conducted internal investigation of $10 million embezzlement by a client’s finance department employee
- Conducted internal investigations of industrial accidents, arson, alleged environmental crimes and mass-casualty disasters
Complex Litigation and Special Projects:
- Successfully represented Fortune 500 telecommunications company in suit brought against municipality resulting in state-wide effects for the utility industry
- Successfully represented business association before state legislature in effort to propose and pass multiple lawsuit reform statutes and a constitutional amendment resolution regarding judicial selection
- Successfully represented government contractor in a “bet-the-company” bid protest action before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Successfully represented state legislator in election contest
- Successfully tried Brentwood Academy v. TSSAA, a First Amendment and Due Process case that is one of the few lawsuits heard twice by the U.S. Supreme Court
Representative Speaking Engagements:
- "Compliance Investigations," Co-presenter, ACC's Compliance and Ethics Training Program, April 29-30, 2013.
- "2012 Anti-Corruption Developments and Strategic Approaches to Anti-Bribery Investigations,” Co-presenter, Webcast CLE, Association of Corporate Counsel & Lex Mundi, December 11, 2012.
- "When in Rome: How Your Company Can Manage International Legal and Ethical Risks," Co-presenter, Dean Institute for Corporate Governance and Integrity Boardroom Briefing Series, Lipscomb University, October 24, 2012.
- "Doing Business Overseas: Advanced Legal Issues with Managing International Subsidiaries," Co-presenter, Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, October 1, 2012.
- “The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: From Understanding to Action," Presenter, Association of Corporate Counsel programs, September 26-27, 2012.
- "Beware of the 'Practical' Advice: Global Migration Counsel and International Anti-Bribery Statutes," Co-presenter, AILA's 2012 Annual Conference on Immigration Law, June 13, 2012.
- "Structuring or Revamping Your Compliance Program," Co-presenter, ACC's Compliance and Ethics Training Program, New Orleans, LA, May 1, 2012.
- "When the Authorities Come Calling: Responding to U.S. and International Investigations and Complying with Foreign Anti-Corruption Laws," Co-presenter, Southern Law Network 12th Annual General Counsel's Forum, The Greenbrier, WV, October 29, 2011.
- "External Investigations and Emerging Investigation & Enforcement Issues," Moderator, Lex Mundi Business Crimes & Compliance Group Global Meeting, London, UK, September 30, 2011.
- "Business Crimes and Compliance 2011 Update - Key U.S. and International Risk Management Developments," Co-presenter (with Audrey Chen, Catriona Munro, Nishant Joshi and Ruchi Mahajan), Lex Mundi Webcast, August 31, 2011.
Ross' pro bono practice has included the successful representation of a naval officer in a high-profile civil rights and whistleblower matter which resulted in investigations by the Inspectors General of both the U.S. Justice and Defense Departments, and investigations by U.S. Senator Charles Grassley of Iowa and the national CBS News program 60 Minutes. Ross also led a pro bono team of attorneys representing KIPP Academy Nashville, a public charter school for at-risk children.
Prior to joining the firm, Ross was an active-duty officer in the U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General's Corps. He served as a legal officer aboard the nuclear aircraft carrier USS George Washington; with NATO ground forces in Kosovo; as the judge advocate for a three-warship Maritime Expeditionary Force sent to enforce U.N. sanctions against Iraq; and as a prosecuting attorney based in Japan.