We represented Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Inc. in the defense of approximately 2,500 cases filed in Tennessee related to the anti-obesity drug fen-phen. Our representation included:
- Review of the pertinent studies and medical literature for the defense of these cases
- Retaining experts who were effective for trials set nationwide
- Review of echocardiograms with experts for defense of cases
- Collection and summarizing of medical records for cases
- Jessie Zeigler served on the national expert team and quality assurance/quality control team for cases that were set for trial nationally
- Taking plaintiffs' depositions and taking experts' depositions across the country
Most of the local cases were ultimately settled by Wyeth after a successful defense strategy of calling into question the validity of numerous cases through favorable testimony at depositions of both the plaintiffs and their experts.
Wyeth Pharmaceuticals was a publicly traded pharmaceutical company until it was purchased by Pfizer in 2009.