The Women's Initiative consists of all of the female attorneys at Bass, Berry & Sims. The Women's Initiative strives to promote collegiality and networking among our women attorneys in the firm, educate associates on the structure of our firm, support and encourage women in leadership positions in our firm, and share knowledge and experiences on balancing work and family. We believe that all of these activities improve the retention and recruitment of female attorneys, which contributes to the success of the firm as a whole. The Women's Initiative meets monthly, typically over lunch, and often hosts guest speakers who address various topics relating to its members' careers and personal lives. Each year, the group honors the women promoted to partnership, hosts a party to celebrate the holidays, and sponsors a family fun event for the families of all of the attorneys in the firm. In order to promote interaction on a more informal and personal level, the Women's Initiative sponsors small groups consisting of 12 to 13 female attorneys from different practice areas and with different levels of experience. The small groups meet on a quarterly basis and participate in activities that are of interest to the particular group. In 2008, the Women's Initiative conducted a weekend retreat wherein the female attorneys from all three offices came together to network and learn about strategies for career advancement.
The Women's Initiative has been involved in organizations and activities such as:
- Hosting the "Salute to Women Executives" luncheon each year, which features a nationally renowned guest speaker for the women attorneys, clients and friends of Bass, Berry & Sims. In 2009, the speaker was Cordia Harrington, CEO of Tennessee Bun Company.
- Sponsoring panels for women law students' associations at Vanderbilt University Law School and University of Tennessee Law School.
- Sponsoring Magdelene, Inc., which provides housing for women with a criminal history of drug addiction and prostitution.
- Sponsoring the Women Lawyers Club.
- Sponsoring the Back Door Boutique - a store that benefits the families of Fort Campbell soldiers.
- Hosting client development activities, including shopping excursions and dinners with female clients of the firm.