Our affinity groups play a key role in the firm's ongoing efforts regarding diversity and inclusion in the areas of leadership, culture, advancement, recruiting and communication. Our affinity groups bring their unique perspectives to the firm's ongoing efforts to understand the particular challenges faced by the group members as well as appreciate the positive contributions made by the group members.
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Affinity Group at Bass, Berry & Sims raises awareness and visibility within the firm of the firm's commitment to be welcoming in all forms of diversity, including sexual orientation and gender identity. Members support each other and provide a voice to the firm to ensure equal opportunity and professional development for our LGBT attorneys. Our LGBT group is led by Claire Miley and David Smith.
The firm will participate in the 2018 Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index. The Index is the national benchmarking tool regarding corporate policies and practices pertaining to LGBT employees.
The goals of the LGBT Affinity Group include:
- Sharing and addressing areas of concern regarding LGBT diversity at Bass, Berry & Sims.
- Monitoring the firm's policies and practices as they relate to LGBT attorneys.
- Providing mentoring and networking opportunities for LGBT attorneys in the firm and to law students at nearby schools.
- Supporting and participating in community organizations that advocate for LGBT equality and diversity in the legal profession.
The programs and activities of the LGBT Affinity Group include:
- Holding regular affinity group meetings at the firm.
- Enjoying affinity group events outside the firm (e.g., holiday dinner, Predator's Pride Game).
- Attended the Nashville Predators Annual Pride Night hosted by the LGBT Chamber of Commerce
- Providing perspective to the recruiting and diversity operating committees of the firm by having a representative of the group on each of these committees.
- Hosted students from Vanderbilt University Law School's OutLaw group for a dinner of mentoring and conversation
- Sponsoring and participating in activities of the Stonewall Bar Association of Tennessee, the Human Rights Campaign, the Tennessee Equality Project, the Nashville LGBT Chamber of Commerce, the Oasis Center's Just Us program, and Nashville in Harmony.
- Silver level sponsor for the 2017 HRC Nashville Equality Dinner
- Financially supported the LGBTQ Youth Summit hosted by the Students of Stonewall
- Attended the Just Us — Corporate Collaborative Meeting held at the Oasis Center
- Attended LGBT Chamber 2017 Excellence in Business Awards
- Representing the firm at the annual National LGBT Bar Association's Lavender Law Conference & Career Fair.
The leaders of our LGBT Affinity Group include the following: