Bass, Berry & Sims is committed to diversity and inclusion and this commitment starts at the highest level. Our Executive Committee adopted a Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan, recognizing that diversity and inclusion is essential to our firm's continued success.
Our plan contains five core components – leadership, culture, advancement, recruiting and communications. By designing the plan in this manner, our leadership:
- demonstrates its commitment to our diversity and inclusion goals and actions;
- leads the building and sustainability of an inclusive culture; and
- takes accountability for diversity and inclusion at the firm.
Everyone at Bass, Berry & Sims shares the responsibility of building a workplace rich in diversity, reflecting our clients and the communities we serve. To lead this effort, we have established a Diversity Operating Committee comprised of our managing partner, our general counsel, our practice heads, our office managing partners, the leaders of our affinity groups, our hiring partner and various professional staff. This Committee will review our progress as we implement our plan, discuss challenges and accomplishments, deal in truths, share personal perspectives and provide feedback to those working to make diversity and inclusion part of the daily fabric of our firm.
We understand our clients' thoughts around diversity and inclusion. We understand and appreciate the complexity of our clients' experiences and points of view. We believe that inclusive legal teams bring broader perspectives to problem-solving, resulting in better solutions for our clients. We support our clients' diversity goals by attracting, retaining and advancing a diverse and talented attorney base.
It is not enough to hire an inclusive team – Bass, Berry & Sims is committed to developing all of our attorneys into productive and successful firm citizens.
- Recipient of the Nashville Bar Association Diversity Committee Leadership Award for contributions to enhance diversity and professional success.
- 2016 Women in Law Hackathon participant and 2017 Hackathon Alliance firm.
- Since 2010, the firm has been a member of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD). As part of the firm's membership and commitment to diversity and inclusion, we have worked with the LCLD to address pipeline issues that face our profession and to encourage diverse applicants to enter the law. We have had four women members selected to the annual Fellows Program. The firm also participates in the 1L Scholars Program, designed to strengthen the legal pipeline by expanding opportunities for diverse first year law students. As part of our commitment to the 1L Scholars program, we send our 1L Scholars to the Scholars Summit.